Monday, August 18, 2014

I Wasn't Homeschooled.


I've got to admit, it feels kind of weird that this time this year we aren't taking our -back to school- lists to target, filling the cart with all those shiny new binders, and clothes, and shoes, and double checking if we've gotten it all. This year is so different.

This year, we are searching the web for the best nature study books, making sure we have our field guides in one easy accessible place in the house, sharpening the pencils we have laying around, and perfecting our morning routines. Instead of everyone getting new shoes, I've been looking for new cozy slippers for everyone. And instead of all those new clothes, I'm making sure everyone has new organic woolies that fit after all the kids' summer growth spurts.

I've been working on my own schedule and lists and chores. I am taking the next few weeks to focus on what I find is most important to get done around here and the sort of stuff that can wait. Laundry needs to get done, checking Facebook 5 times a day does not. You get the point.

I wasn't homeschooled. I come from a background of formal education. Every one of us. My journey with homeschooling will be based entirely on trial and error. I am such a newbie to it all.

The kids are new to this all too. Because we are taking them out of a formal school setting, it will take them time to adjust to being taught at home. I pray for grace filled moments when it comes to this period of our lives.

So Jonathan and I have been jotting reasons down as to why we are doing this, our homeschool mission statement. A fellow homeschooling mom recommended that we print our list out and make it visible on the days where we have lost our reasoning, because those hard days will come, frustration will overtake our heads, and our hearts will grow weary.
                     (Graycen and I worked all weekend on our first needle felting project- a little cat. we love her!)

I will share our mission statement with you when we are done writing it. For now we are taking things slowly, moving through our days with deep connected purpose with our children, observing what kind of learners they are and how we can best teach them.

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting." E.E. Cummings
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs