Friday, September 19, 2014

Life As A Classroom.












So when I told the kids over the summer that this would be the most adventurous year of our life, I had better be ready to deliver. We use it all as our classroom. Most of our more formal lessons are done in the morning around the dining room table. A little after lunch time everyday we are close to done most of the time , which leaves the afternoon open to play outside, have our friends over, go on nature walks, catch up around the house, settle down with reading. Every late afternoon we have an hour of quiet time. In that hour we all pick a room of the house to stay in until the hour is up. What we do with that hour is entirely up to each of us. But it is sacred time, let me tell you. The most important parts of the day, the time that is non negotiable in our school days is bible time, reading time, creative time, and time outdoors. If on certain days nothing but those things get done, I would still call it a good day. There are lessons all around us, and the most beautiful part about doing school at home is how I get to be so closely involved in their education, how I get to weave our lives in and out of our lessons. When we bake bread we use our math skills, when we read we explore different lands, when we work in our garden we are connected with our food. When we study the bible, it shapes our days. I thank God for this, this call to home. I thank Him for placing this deep desire in me to develop such a place here on this little piece of land to make a safe haven, a refuge, a house of prayer and unity, a place to be real, a place to be honest and raw and open and safe. A place for my children to grow in grace and love. A place of steering and redirection. A place to become who God is calling them to be.

"Never try to make your experience a principle for others, but allow God to be as creative and original with others as He is with you." - Oswald Chambers
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs